Monday, June 23, 2014

Oyster Dome, Bellingham, WA 6.22.2014

Bellingham! I had heard about this hike from a number of my tattoo customers; touting "the best views in Washington". I certainly wasn't disappointed. The hike has a nice steep climb for the first 1/3 of the ascent. Mostly rocky dirt and tiny creek waterfalls. The 2nd third was full of root tangles and brief scrambles where the trail is temporarily hidden. There is a small boulder about half a mile from Oyster dome to the left of the trail; a nice P.O.I. Upon Arrival we saw what a popular hike this really was. Nearly every vantage was taken. The dome itself is fairly large; a slanted plateau atop a very large shear cliff. The view looks out across Bellingham Bay. Ships, islands, oyster farms, and sky! If you dip down through a little craggy trail off the front of the dome you can slide underneath and in front of the cliff face. The view from here allows you to see, obviously the cliff itself, as well as the caves below. From what I understand these are pretty neat and full of local cave fauna. Next time.
Check out the website below for my tattoo portfolio if you're interested!

0 comments :

Post a Comment